Nicer Cranks - 4172 miles

 I've been wanting to do this for ages, since I built the bike but there's always been more important things to do or fix. It's a completely cosmetic thing, the Bafang cranks are black and fine for pretty much any bike other than a traditional bike where they look a little out of place, a bit too modern, so I want to change them to something more in keeping with the rest of the bike.

 

 

 I found on eBay a pair of old traditional looking cranks and importantly these had the square taper fitting to match the Bafang bottom bracket.
Real traditional cranks are with a cotter pin and these wouldn't have worked.

I chopped, first with a dremel, the chain ring off and then with a hacksaw trimmed it down till I had just the right hand crank on it's own.

A bit of oil and wire wool cleaned the worst of the rust off and they're good to go.

One day I might get them re chromed....




I ground the end flat and gave it a coat of paint to protect the exposed metal before fitting them to the bike.




Comments