New Shoes... and chain and spokes - 3972 miles

 Chain has worn out and stretched quite a lot!
The old chain was a KMC CHAIN Z1 EHX WD S SPD
The new chain is a YBN Single speed S512e - see if it lasts more than 4000 miles
The rear sprocket was not significantly worn, but it got switched out during the pandemic for a larger one so hasn't done 4000 miles.
The front does look a little worn and I might change it soon




 


Two spokes had broken. They were 13 gauge 2.3mm diameter but the hub has holes that accept 12 gauge 2.6mm spokes. Anyone reading this with the same wheel you want a 295mm long spoke.

The 12 gauge ones will be stronger so will gradually replace them all with these as they break.
They have a hard life taking the braking and power forces, plus the weight is biased over the rear wheel and is added to by the child seat and the bike trailer!





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 With the rear wheel off to do the chain and the spokes I also decided to change the shoes in the rear drum brake. The rear brake had been awful until I figured out and stopped the oil leaking from the gearbox to the brake. Now with getting on for 2000 miles without the leak recurring I'm confident to put a new set of pads in without worrying they'll get oil on.

Frustratingly the Anchor plate I had isn't a good fit to the old hub.
So I popped of the star washer from the new brake and removed the new shoes. Removing the circlip on the older anchor plate allowed me to switch out the old shoes for the new ones.

 


 

 

Visually there was not a lot of difference, you can see the measurements below. The old ones were definitely worn in comparison but not by much. The small visual difference doesn't look like it would equate to as big a difference once back on the road. The improvement in braking is really good. It gives me confidence that once I sort out my front wheel issues a 90mm drum with new shoes will be perfectly good enough to stop with. I might just get through the shoes a little quicker with the added weight and speed.

 

Dimensions of the leading and trailing thickness on the new shoes

 
 
I'll add the dimensions of the old shoes soon. 





Comments